I just wanted to clear up a few points:
- Astute readers may have noted that it is impossible for all of these very divergent lists to include “Everything I Ever Needed To Know”. This suggests that either I am a nonsense peddler (crazy or deliberately and obviously lying) or that I am not really serious in my title. I’ll leave this for the reader to decide.
- For the most part, I try to populate these documents not just with good quotes from the source – Rather, I try to choose only those statements from the sources that sound like they are giving advice, or making a universal truth. As I look back at the Princess Bride Everythings, however, I see that I have made some exceptions.
- Another thing that astute readers may have noted is that I have in mind varying degrees of agreement with each of these lists. Obviously, I agree with all of the statements from the Biblical Book Everythings. Obviously, I don’t agree with everything in the Spinal Tap Everything. I was pleased to see that I agree with everything in all six of the Lord of The Rings Everythings, except for one: “Nothing is evil from the beginning” (I suppose it depends on your definitions of ‘evil’).
- Ever since the beginning, I have not been completely pleased with what I call them, since the category is (of course) inspired by the original Kindergarten Everything. This original, while conceptually creative, has two problems: (1) It is completely cloying, (2) Parodies of it has been really, really overdone (not so much lately, but that’s only because would-be authors (even bad ones) have seen that it has been overdone.
- For this reason, I have toyed with the idea of changing the name to something more cool sounding, but I’m not sure what I would change it to. I am open to suggestions.
- Blachr has told me outright more than once that renaming isn’t good enough – I should stop them altogether. Request Denied!