You are currently browsing the daily archive for May 31, 2007.
Second in a two part series commemorating a movie that should be in every person’s Top 5
So I have always wondered about one little part of Star Wars. They are on the deck (or whatever) of the Falcon and Artoo and Chewie are playing 3D Creature Round Chess.
This was a fairly popular scene that showed just another little bit of Lucas creativity. I will now type down the scene from memory (which I’m sure many of you can do,) so I might have a few of the parts a little wrong.
Han, Luke and Ben are talking about something else, when suddenly Chewie gets upset and shows it by screaming.
C3PO: He made a fair play.
Han: Let him have it, it’s not wise to upset a wookie.
C3PO: But sir! No one worries about upsetting a droid.
Han: That’s because a droid doesn’t tear your arms out if he loses.
C3PO (after thinking about it): I suggest a different strategy, Artoo: Let the wookie win.
And Chewie puts his hands behind his head and leans back, obviously enjoying the situation.
All well and good. And funny. And we don’t know yet that Chewie will grow into a fairly soft hearted hero and probably would not do this, but at this point we think he might.
What bothers me is C3PO’s second response –“No one worries about upsetting a droid.” This doesn’t follow from – “It’s not wise to upset a wookie,” So why did he say that?
My thought is that Lucas couldn’t think of a good reason to set up the ‘tear off your arms’ part, so he just put it in. Oh well.
Still a really, really, really, really good movie.
I imagine that you are wondering how I would rank the six movies. You probably aren’t wondering this, but right at this moment I am imagining that you are. Here goes:
1st Place– Tie ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Empire Strikes Back’This is a tough one, but like I’ve mentioned, the Star Wars light saber battle is not great and Empire really has some great moments: Asteroids, Darth Vader walking through the ice tunnels, The Freezing of Solo, The First Father Son Battle.But if you forced me to choose, I would have to go with Star Wars. It was the beginning, after all. – Tie ‘Return of the Jedi’ and ‘Revenge of the Sith’
– Tie ‘Return of the Jedi’ and ‘Revenge of the Sith’
I have posted about the good parts of Sith, and you might say, why drag Jedi down with the Second Trilogy? Here are some reasons:
* Ewoks beat the Storm Troupers in a battle and only one Ewok dies? What? I wish Lucas had gone with his idea to use the Wookies.
* The Line “Why don’t you use your divine influence and get us out of this?” Others like it.
Still, again, if you forced me to choose, I’d have to go with Jedi. You can’t beat the moment when all looks hopelessly lost and then Artoo shoots the light saber out towards Luke.
– Tie ‘Phantom Menace’, ‘Attack of the Clones’ Don’t think that since I put these at the bottom I find them to be garbage. They are still pretty good cinema. They just have many troublesome aspects. Most of them hover around Anakin. Plus – too much pretty filler. And if you forced me to choose between these two, I would choose . . . . boy, you got me beat. They both were so inconsistent. Any Suggestions? Comments?
– Tie ‘Phantom Menace’, ‘Attack of the Clones’
Don’t think that since I put these at the bottom I find them to be garbage. They are still pretty good cinema. They just have many troublesome aspects. Most of them hover around Anakin. Plus – too much pretty filler.
And if you forced me to choose between these two, I would choose . . . . boy, you got me beat. They both were so inconsistent.
Any Suggestions? Comments?